Rights group says security forces increasingly using sexual violence against men, women and children with impunity.

egypt.jpg

A new study by a human-rights group accuses Egyptian security forces of increasingly using sexual violence against men, women and children with impunity.
Released on Tuesday, the report by the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), titled Exposing state hypocrisy: Sexual violence by security forces in Egypt, indicates a surge in sexual violence perpetrated by Egyptian security forces since the military takeover in 2013.
FIDH has documented widespread sexual harassment, rape and sexual assault, rape with objects, anal and vaginal "virginity tests", electrocution of genitalia, sex-based defamation and blackmail perpetrated by police, state security and military personnel.
The report said the "multiplication of arbitrary arrests has targeted an increasingly diverse range of victims: women, refugees, minors, students, opponents to the regime or otherwise, and LGBT persons are now frequent victims".
Katherine Booth, of the FIDH in Paris, told Al Jazeera that her organisation decided to conduct an investigation after receiving increasing reports of sexual abuse by Egyptian authorities.
"We do know that such crimes are being committed in police stations, detention centres and informal detention sites as well as at checkpoints during security checks," Booth said.
"There's a very widespread nature to the crimes and nobody has been held to account which could indicate that this is tolerated by the Egyptian authorities, if not encouraged."

Interviews with victims
FIDH conducted interviews with victims, lawyers and members of human-rights nongovernmental organisations (NGO).
According to one NGO quoted in the report, at least 16 complaints had been lodged by parents of detained children, alleging that their sons had been victims of physical assault.
Another NGO had been informed of 10 sexual assaults, including several rapes of minors by adult prisoners at the El Eqabiya detention centre in Al Marg, northeast of Cairo.

In August 2014, three testimonies broadcast by the journalist Mona Salman on the private channel Dream TV reported widespread rape committed in the Eqabiya detention centre, where around 90 minors are detained alongside adult criminals, under the supervision of Criminal Intelligence services.