A young girl who died after accidentally overdosing on highly toxic diet pills was struggling with bulimia, an inquest has heard.
Eloise Aimee Parry, 21, from Shrewsbury, died in hospital on the afternoon of Sunday 12 April after she had admitted herself that morning.
The lethal diet pills, which she had purchased online, contained dinotrophenal, known as DNP - an industrial synthetic chemical which is commonly used in explosives, dyes and pesticides.
The inquest, in Shrewsbury, concluded that Eloise's tragic death was the result of an accidental drug overdose.
Coroner John Ellery said there was no evidence Eloise took DNP with the intent of killing herself
He said: "What is clear is that when she took the drug she did it in relation to her eating disorder, and her death was an accidental consequence.
"This is clearly a dangerous, toxic and fatal substance which should not be accessible and certainly not to persons seeking online, self-prescribed medication."
The inquest heard that Eloise had admitted herself to Royal Shrewsbury Hospital on the morning of her death, after taking four of the lethal diet pills at 4am and a further four when she woke up later that morning.
Although she seemed lucid on arrival, Eloise's health rapidly deteriorated during the afternoon and she died at 3.25pm.
Tragically, she sent a text message to one of her college lecturers at 11.31am in which she said she was scared she was going to die.
She said: "I screwed up big time. Binged/purged all night and took four pills at 4am.
"Took another four when I woke. Started vomiting soon after.
"I think I'm going to die. No one is known to survive if they vomit because of DNP. I'm so scared.
"I'm so sorry for being so stupid. Thank you so much for everything, I never deserved it."
The court heard Eloise's mother, Fiona Parry, speak of her "bright, intelligent" daughter's struggle with eating disorder bulimia.
She said: "I knew she had prescriptions from the doctor, but I wasn't aware she was self-prescribing."
Mrs Parry said Eloise seemed "bright, cheerful, smiling and happy" the day before her death, after seeing her briefly when she dropped her other daughter Rebecca off at Eloise's house.
Eloise's GP, Dr Carla Ingram from Marden Medical Practice, described her as a "deeply troubled but highly intelligent" young woman.
She said: "She was obsessed with the desire and need to lose weight, and continued to take escalating doses [of DNP]."
She said that while she did not believe Eloise was suicidal or addicted to the drug and she had "no apparent ability" to stop taking it.
Eloise, known to friends and family as Ella, had spent the day prior to her death with her sister Rebecca, who said she was "cheery".
Rebecca described her sister's bulimia as a big problem and said she had used supermarket slimming tablets in the past.
She told the inquest: "For a few years she had difficulty with eating and body image.
"She'd had moods where she'd feel better about herself, but always came back to issues with her body and want to lose weight.
"I was aware she was taking slimming tablets a couple of months before she died but I didn't know exactly what, I assumed they were safe."
Rebecca said she left Eloise's house at around 9pm on Saturday 11 April and said Eloise was tired but did not seem suicidal.
She said: "Before I left she said she really fancied a takeaway, and I said well don't get one unless you can keep it down.
"From all the food wrappers I think she had binged.
"She was told that being sick was what was making her ill, I think that's why she took pills instead."
A statement from one of Eloise's school friends, Jade Andrews, said Eloise suffered from psychological issues and depression.
Jade, who had last seen Eloise on 8 April, said in the statement: "She told me she had taken DNP but I didn't know what it was.
"She wanted to get into an eating disorder clinic as if she didn't she would die."
Jade's statement said Eloise would binge on carbs as the pills would burn them off.
The inquest heard how Eloise had shown Jade a packet of at least 20 red and yellow pills and yellow powder, which she said she had bought online from Germany using her PayPal account.
The post mortem by Dr Nicholas Green stated Eloise's cause of death as 1A - 2,4 dinotrophenal toxicity.
It said that it was so strong that one tablet could cause damage - Eloise had taken eight on the day of her death.
The inquest heard that PC Tom Sidey, from West Mercia Police, was called to Royal Shrewsbury Hospital at 5.30pm on Sunday 12 April, and was handed a small red and black purse containing tablets believed to be DNP, as well as other pills including painkillers from Eloise's bag.
The police investigation is ongoing, and investigating officer DS Andy Chatting told the inquest that Eloise's internet use showed that she had purchased and researched the dangers of DNP earlier in April.
She also purchased a further quantity of the drug at 6.14am on the day of her death.
DS Chatting told the inquest that police are working with the Food Standards Agency as well as Interpol and some parties in the U.S. as part of their investigations into online sellers.
He said: "One site has closed down, but the caveat is sites close downs dub pop up in almost identical format hours later.
"My personal view, based on the harm to individuals, is that DNP should be a controlled substance.
"This is something which purports to be a slimming tablet and it is not. Don't buy drugs on the internet."
The coroner told the inquest he will write to the appropriate minister regarding the classifications of DNP.
Speaking after the inquest, Mrs Parry said she will always be grateful to healthcare staff who supported Eloise.
She said: "It has been difficult to listen to the events that led to my daughter's death.
"Eloise was an individual soul who was carving her way in life.
"Living life to the full involves taking risks - Eloise decided being slim was worth the risk.
"She weighed the pros and cons and made a bad choice. It cost her her life.
"DNP will destroy your health and looks from the inside out. DNP - do not purchase, do not partake. Death's not pleasant.
"Even when you're well-informed and caps lake you can still make a bad call.
"Eloise's mistake was to really badly underestimate the dangers of this drug."
Mrs Parry said that if DNP were a classified substance, Eloise might have paid more attention to the warning.
She said: "Looking good should not cost you your life. Eloise was very independent, she knew her own mind.
"She was a real character and full of life - sometimes a little impulsive, and that's a part of what led to her downfall.
"She had so much potential, and she should have had a whole lifetime ahead of her. We miss her so much."