Join Today

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Transfer Centre

March 9 Stoke City winger Matthew Etherington has confirmed that he will be leaving the club when his contract expires

March 9

Stoke City winger Matthew Etherington has confirmed that he will be leaving the club when his contract expires at the end of the season. The 32-year-old has featured only 10 times this season under Mark Hughes and is not ruling out a move abroad in the summer.
    11:17

A couple more Manchester United lines from the papers for you as the Mail on Sunday claims that midfielder Tom Cleverley is set to sign a new five-year contract. The Sun on Sunday, meanwhile, says that David Moyes is interested in Fenerbahce's 7million-rated midfielder Salih Ucan. Inter Milan have already agreed a deal to sign Nemanja Vidic, and The People reports that the Serie A club are still targeting striker Javier Hernandez.
    10:57

Could Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers have 60million to spend in the summer transfer market? That's what the Daily Mail says, with Dnipro's Yevhen Konoplyanka, Cardiff defender Steven Caulker and Switzerland left-back Ricardo Rodriguez reportedly on Rodgers' shopping list. The People, meanwhile, says that Liverpool, along with Manchester United, are interested in Hoffenheim midfielder Roberto Firmino.
    10:38

Manuel Pellegrini is confident Sergio Aguero is happy at Manchester City and isn't worried about losing the Argentine striker in the summer. Aguero has been linked with a summer move to Barcelona, who face City in the second leg of the UEFA Champions League last 16 at the Nou Camp on Wednesday.
    10:19

There are a couple of Tottenham lines in the paper this morning, with the Sun on Sunday claiming Tim Sherwood is keen to sign James Milner, with the Manchester City midfielder yet to hold talks over a new contract. The Daily Star Sunday, meanwhile, says Spurs are interested in Valencia defender Jeremy Mathieu amid reports Jan Vertonghen is wanted by Barcelona.
    9:59

The Sunday Supplement panel discusses whether David Moyes will sell Robin van Persie in the summer?
    9:51

We've taken a look through the papers to bring you some of the transfer headlines doing the rounds this morning:
    THE SUN ON SUNDAY: Liverpool have stepped up their interest in Red Bull Salzburg's Austria defender Martin Hinteregger but face competition from Inter Milan and Barcelona.
    DAILY STAR SUNDAY: Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini has England's young stars Ross Barkley and Luke Shaw at the top of his shopping list this summer.
    SUNDAY TELEGRAPH: Paris Saint-Germain are ready to offer Chelsea 41.5m to sign Brazil midfielder Oscar before the World Cup.
    THE PEOPLE: Arsene Wenger will use an 8million clause in Loic Remy's contract to gazump Newcastle United for the forward's signature this summer.
    You can read the full version of Paper Talk here
    9:29

There are several Manchester United lines in the papers this morning, with The People claiming David Moyes will let Robin van Persie leave this summer, if he can sign Edinson Cavani from Paris St Germain. The Sunday Mirror reports that Van Persie is interested in a move to Juventus, while the Sun on Sunday claims Moyes is considering a swoop for Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen to replace the departing Nemanja Vidic.
    8:56

Good morning and welcome back to the Sky Sports Transfer Clockwatch. We're just going through the papers, so we'll bring you what gossip is doing the rounds shortly.

Monday March 10

Ken takes us back to (a fully-clothed) Mourinho: 'Don't get me wrong, Noel, I don't doubt the man's ability as a manager. He does play effective, (if boring), football, and he wins things. The thing is, I think he has been reading too much of his own publicity, and believing it. He used to be humorous because he was being natural, but now it is all contrived. He believes everything he says is clever, and so does the media. Somebody simply needs to say, 'You are a great manager, but stop being a pratt!'.' People say that to me all the time. Apart from the 'great manager' bit.
    14:47

Rob: 'Noel, put it this way, do you think your heart would be able to cope with Hull winning in the last minute against Arsenal knowing that you stand to win a nice bundle with that being secondary to watching the enemy choke? My advice would be to lay Hull for as much as you're willing to give away should they win it. '
    14:30

Spanish relegation battlers Getafe have sacked their coach and appointed his replacement with the sort of efficiency so common on the continent and so rarely seen in Britain, where we much prefer four weeks of speculation, rumour, double-speak and at least seven unsuccessful odds-on favourites before getting round to appointing a new chap.
    14:15

And more from Noel: 'I put a tenner each on Andy Schooler's FA cup tips Hull 100/1 and Southampton 25/1. At this point I'm wondering should I have something on Sheff Utd to win the semi and also Arsenal to win the comp? Or should I sit tight? Any ideas?' As luck would have it, Andy's just walked in the office. His advice is to cover your stake and at least ensure you don't make a loss. My advice would be to wait until Hill win, collect your winnings, go to the roulette and put the lot on black. My second piece of advice would be to ignore my first piece of advice.
    14:09

Noel Madden: 'So an 'absolute fool' sits 7 points clear at the top of the league. What does that make the rest? Geniuses?'
    13:48

Brad: 'Did anyone else think Mourinho shaking hands with the Spurs staff before the final whistle on Saturday was just outright ridiculous? Attention seeking and patronising in equal measure. Ken, I agree, the man is now a parody of himself. Absolute fool.'
    13:38

Ken Livermore conjures up the image of a nakedJose Mourinho: 'Is it just me, or are others also finding the ramblings of the 'chosen one' just getting plain boring? The whole thing seems to have become a self parody to me. The assembled media sit around like serfs around their monarch, waiting for the next humorous words of wisdom. The thing is, if someone else was saying what Jose does nobody would give it the time of day. When he gave his 'little horses' speech does no one else think what a lot of tommy rot ? He then followed up with the stupid attack on Arsene Wenger. The whole thing is becoming contrived, with method meaning more than content. It's all a bit like the King's new clothes, and somebody needs to shout out, the King is in the altogether!' The brilliant thing with Jose now is that literally anything that comes out of his mouth is automatically 'mind games'. He could read out the phone book and stillhave hacks scrabbling around for the hidden meaning.
    13:27

Brad: 'I think Arteta would finish last in that race.'
    13:25

A brilliant/terrible idea from Philip Williams: 'Having watched City being City again yesterday, I found myself wondering about the result of a sprint race between Martin Demichelis, Per Mertesacker, Michael Dawson and Richard Dunne, where at the start of the race they had to stand on the half-way line, turn, and run back to their own penalty area. Would anyone in the crowd still be awake to see who won?'
    13:22

Martin Nugent: 'Much as I understand Paul Cressy getting carried away, I don't think the PL is anywhere near a 2-horse race between us (the mighty Reds) and Chelsea. It'll be interesting to see how Man C react - they'll probably just have the league to concentrate on in a couple of days. And will Arsenal allow their cup run and now clear favourite status to take their eye off the league? Liverpool just have to do what has been preached for decades: take one game at a time. It's Man U away next and then we'll see. Dreaming is great, but we'll have more success being realistic.' I agree with the general tone of this, and your broad point is sound, but it doesn't do to conflate a club's staff and fans. The club may have more success if the staff take each proverbial game as it comes, but the fans can dream themselves giddy. It's part of the fun.
    13:10
    Toni Kroos remains open to using the idea of a move to the Premier League as a means to secure a better deal at Bayern Munich.
    12:25

Rich: 'Brad/Rob, I have to disagree in varying amounts. Gibbs is simply laughable and assume just out to spice up the TC. Rob, judging on how unlikely England are to ever score a goal (thinking back to all the 0-0s in tournaments etched in my memory) I think we simply have to go with Baines. And Rooney has to be told that this isn't Man U where he can do whatever he likes. A genuine threat from free-kicks is a very valuable weapon in int'l tournaments and a regular penalty taker who rarely misses (must check if ever missed) is obviously worth his weight in platinum when it comes to England. Forget the superlative that Brendan used when talking about Gerrard taking that late penalty at Fulham but he sure as anything misses when it matters for England!'

Monday March 10

Ken takes us back to (a fully-clothed) Mourinho: 'Don't get me wrong, Noel, I don't doubt the man's ability as a manager. He does play effective, (if boring), football, and he wins things. The thing is, I think he has been reading too much of his own publicity, and believing it. He used to be humorous because he was being natural, but now it is all contrived. He believes everything he says is clever, and so does the media. Somebody simply needs to say, 'You are a great manager, but stop being a pratt!'.' People say that to me all the time. Apart from the 'great manager' bit.
    14:47

Rob: 'Noel, put it this way, do you think your heart would be able to cope with Hull winning in the last minute against Arsenal knowing that you stand to win a nice bundle with that being secondary to watching the enemy choke? My advice would be to lay Hull for as much as you're willing to give away should they win it. '

Spanish relegation battlers Getafe have sacked their coach and appointed his replacement with the sort of efficiency so common on the continent and so rarely seen in Britain, where we much prefer four weeks of speculation, rumour, double-speak and at least seven unsuccessful odds-on favourites before getting round to appointing a new chap.
    14:15

And more from Noel: 'I put a tenner each on Andy Schooler's FA cup tips Hull 100/1 and Southampton 25/1. At this point I'm wondering should I have something on Sheff Utd to win the semi and also Arsenal to win the comp? Or should I sit tight? Any ideas?' As luck would have it, Andy's just walked in the office. His advice is to cover your stake and at least ensure you don't make a loss. My advice would be to wait until Hill win, collect your winnings, go to the roulette and put the lot on black. My second piece of advice would be to ignore my first piece of advice.
    14:09

Noel Madden: 'So an 'absolute fool' sits 7 points clear at the top of the league. What does that make the rest? Geniuses?'
    13:48

Brad: 'Did anyone else think Mourinho shaking hands with the Spurs staff before the final whistle on Saturday was just outright ridiculous? Attention seeking and patronising in equal measure. Ken, I agree, the man is now a parody of himself. Absolute fool.'
    13:38

Ken Livermore conjures up the image of a nakedJose Mourinho: 'Is it just me, or are others also finding the ramblings of the 'chosen one' just getting plain boring? The whole thing seems to have become a self parody to me. The assembled media sit around like serfs around their monarch, waiting for the next humorous words of wisdom. The thing is, if someone else was saying what Jose does nobody would give it the time of day. When he gave his 'little horses' speech does no one else think what a lot of tommy rot ? He then followed up with the stupid attack on Arsene Wenger. The whole thing is becoming contrived, with method meaning more than content. It's all a bit like the King's new clothes, and somebody needs to shout out, the King is in the altogether!' The brilliant thing with Jose now is that literally anything that comes out of his mouth is automatically 'mind games'. He could read out the phone book and stillhave hacks scrabbling around for the hidden meaning.
    13:27

Brad: 'I think Arteta would finish last in that race.'
    13:25

A brilliant/terrible idea from Philip Williams: 'Having watched City being City again yesterday, I found myself wondering about the result of a sprint race between Martin Demichelis, Per Mertesacker, Michael Dawson and Richard Dunne, where at the start of the race they had to stand on the half-way line, turn, and run back to their own penalty area. Would anyone in the crowd still be awake to see who won?'
    13:22

Martin Nugent: 'Much as I understand Paul Cressy getting carried away, I don't think the PL is anywhere near a 2-horse race between us (the mighty Reds) and Chelsea. It'll be interesting to see how Man C react - they'll probably just have the league to concentrate on in a couple of days. And will Arsenal allow their cup run and now clear favourite status to take their eye off the league? Liverpool just have to do what has been preached for decades: take one game at a time. It's Man U away next and then we'll see. Dreaming is great, but we'll have more success being realistic.' I agree with the general tone of this, and your broad point is sound, but it doesn't do to conflate a club's staff and fans. The club may have more success if the staff take each proverbial game as it comes, but the fans can dream themselves giddy. It's part of the fun.
    13:10
    Toni Kroos remains open to using the idea of a move to the Premier League as a means to secure a better deal at Bayern Munich.

Rich: 'Brad/Rob, I have to disagree in varying amounts. Gibbs is simply laughable and assume just out to spice up the TC. Rob, judging on how unlikely England are to ever score a goal (thinking back to all the 0-0s in tournaments etched in my memory) I think we simply have to go with Baines. And Rooney has to be told that this isn't Man U where he can do whatever he likes. A genuine threat from free-kicks is a very valuable weapon in int'l tournaments and a regular penalty taker who rarely misses (must check if ever missed) is obviously worth his weight in platinum when it comes to England. Forget the superlative that Brendan used when talking about Gerrard taking that late penalty at Fulham but he sure as anything misses when it matters for England!'

March 10

Loan star Loic Remy has admitted he does want to play for one of Europe's top clubs at some point in the future. The Frenchman is currently on loan at Newcastle from Queens Park Rangers and has been linked with Arsenal in recent weeks
    One day I will be part of a European top-five club or a very big club. I know what I can do

12:17

Newport County have signed goalkeeper Ian McLoughlin from MK Dons on a month-long loan deal.
    9:35

Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes admits that playing in the Premier league would be a 'very good option' for him. The likes of Manchester City, Arsenal and Liverpool are thought to be weighing up moves for the Spaniard, who is out of contract at Camp Nou at the end of the season.
    It is one of the biggest leagues in the world, with the best clubs in the world and, without doubt, it's a very good option for me

8:44

Yohan Cabaye insists he has no regrets about leaving Newcastle to join Paris Saint-Germain despite his struggle to play first-team football.
    I absolutely don't regret my decision, I have come here to win and climb the hierarchy

8:42

Peter Crouch insists he is happy at Stoke and has no plans to leave the Britannia Stadium.
    I've got no ambitions to move. I feel very happy here.

8:42

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists that Wilfried Zaha still has a big part to play in Cardiff's battle against relegation.
    8:21

PAPER TALK

For a full round-up of all the best stories from today’s tabloids and broadsheets, check out our updated Paper Talk feature, which includes the following transfer lines and many, many more.
    THE DAILY MIRROR: Stoke City boss Mark Hughes wants Burnley goal-machine Danny Ings to fire his side next season.
    THE SUN: Former Arsenal midfielder Alex Song says he will to return to the Premier League after his two-year stint at Barcelona.
    DAILY STAR: Manchester United are looking to rival Arsenal's bid for Real Madrid star Alvaro Morata.

7:19

Everton are plotting a move to bring Jack Rodwell back to Goodison Park from Manchester City, according to the Daily Mail.
    7:04

The Sun claims Manchester United have opened talks with Sporting Lisbon over a 30million move for midfielder William Carvalho.
    7:02

Good morning and welcome back to the Sky Sports Transfer Clockwatch. Stay with us throughout the day as we continue to bring you all of the latest news and speculation.

March 12
    Esteban Cambiasso is planning to play on past the end of the season, be that at Inter Milan or with a new employer. The Argentine midfielder has been with Inter since 2004, making well over 400 appearances for the club. He will, however, see his current contract expire at the end of the season.
    16:45

A host of clubs are keeping tabs on West Ham defender Jordan Spence, Sky Sports understands. Spence, who is currently on loan at MK Dons, is out of contract at Upton Park at the end of the season.
    16:31

Marko Marin does not see a future for him at Chelsea and would be willing to make a loan deal at Sevilla permanent. The Germany international moved to Stamford Bridge as a free agent in the summer of 2012, penning a five-year contract.
    If both Sevilla and me are happy to stay, I can stay here forever.
    16:23

Pepe Reina, who was signed by Rafa Benitez at Liverpool in 2005 - the summer after they had won the Champions League, is thankful to the Spanish tactician for taking him to Napoli on loan.
    Between Rafa and me, there is a sincere relationship. His presence at Napoli allowed the negotiation to be really simple. Just a few words and the signing on the contract. I needed to change.
    16:09

Southend boss Phil Brown believes loanee defender Jakub Sokolik can "play a big part" in the club's promotion push. The 20-year-old centre-back arrived from Liverpool on Tuesday and was an unused substitute in the 2-2 draw against Scunthorpe, which left the Shrimpers lying in seventh place in Sky Bet League Two.
    15:48

Gary Bowyer claims a rebuilding job at Blackburn Rovers was essential, with 19 players brought in during his tenure. Bowyer has also sanctioned over 40 exits while in the Ewood Park hot-seat, with loan and permanent transfers commonplace.
    15:32

Arsenal goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski does not think he has anything to prove and has insisted he is just trying to help the team. The 28-year-old Poland international is out of contract in the summer and is expected to leave Emirates Stadium, having joined the club from Legia Warsaw in 2007.
    15:15

Brek Shea admits he would be willing to consider a loan move away from Stoke City in order to keep his World Cup dream alive. The United States international is currently back at the Britannia Stadium after returning early from a stint at Sky Bet Championship side Barnsley.

14:57

Tim Sherwood admits Tottenham's squad are playing for their futures at the club following his scathing assessment of Saturday's defeat at Chelsea.
    There are a lot of players here now who are playing for their future and I think they realise that. I will have a good look at the whole squad and see who I need to keep and who I need to bring in.
    14:42

Richie Barker admits he could be set for a summer squad clear-out following Portsmouth's 0-0 draw with Burton at Fratton Park. Barker questioned his team's desire to deliver the goals and admits his players are fighting for their futures as he ponders a major off-season overhaul in a bid to spark a promotion charge next term.
    14:40

Roberto Martinez says some of his Everton squad are playing for their futures in the final 11 games of the season.
    The players are well aware. There's massive competition for places in the dressing room and we all know we've got six demanding games at Goodison.
    14:18

Liam Feeney admits his Blackburn loan is a chance to impress potential suitors with the winger's career at Millwall seemingly set to end this summer.
    14:07

Renato Ibarra is generating plenty of transfer gossip, but Vitesse Arnhem claim to be unaware of interest from England.

March 14

Paris Saint-Germain forward Jeremy Menez has admitted he is unsure what will happen at the end of the season when his contract expires. Menez has so far failed to agree a new deal and fresh speculation in L'Equipe now suggests that he has been identified as a transfer target by Bayer Leverkusen.
    15:46

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has insisted that Ryan Bertrand has a long-term future at Stamford Bridge. Bertrand is currently on loan at Aston Villa and reports have suggested that Paul Lambert is keen to sign the left-back on a permanent basis.
    15:32

Northampton's loan signing has been confirmed as Huddersfield striker Cristian Lopez.

Northampton Town
    @ntfc
    Northampton Town have signed Huddersfield Town striker Cristian Lopez on loan for the rest of the season.More on ntfc.co.uk soon
    Mar. 14, 2014ReplyRetweetFavorite

15:31

Wycombe have snapped up Sam Togwell on loan from fellow League Two side Chesterfield.

Wycombe Wanderers FC
    @wwfcofficial
    Blues have completed the signing of @ChesterfieldFC midfielder Sam Togwell on a one-month loan. Story to follow on wwfc.com

15:20

Confirmation of a departure at Northampton, as promising forward JJ Hooper joins Farnborough on loan, and the promise of an arrival to come.

Northampton Town
    @ntfc
    JJ Hooper has joined @FarnboroughFC on loan for the rest of the season: ntfc.co.uk/news/article/h…

Northampton Town
    @ntfc
    We have a new loan signing coming in at 330pm, he will wear the number 10 shirt. Announcement on the Cobblers Wall: wall.ntfc.co.uk/Event/Sixfield…

15:13

Spanish youngster Suso has set his sights on winning a new deal at Liverpool when he returns from his loan spell with Almeria. The talented midfielder joined Almeria on a season-long loan deal last summer as Brendan Rodgers wanted the player to be playing regular first-team football this term.
    15:08

Teenage midfielder Joe Hanks has been sent to Gloucester City by Cheltenham in an effort to find him competitive game time.

Cheltenham Town FC
    @CTFCofficial
    Transfer News > We can confirm that young #CTFC prospect @JoeHanks13 has joined @GCAFCofficial on a one month loan: ctfc.com/news/article/h…

15:05

Another man on his way to League One is Watford defender Nyron Nosworthy, who has linked up with Bristol City on an initial one-month deal.
    Last edited by miri-01; 03-14-2014 at 04:24 PM.

March 20
    Burnley FC
    @BurnleyOfficial
    BREAKING: Burnley have this afternoon confirmed the signing of Chris Baird on a two-month deal, subject to FA and Football League approval.
    Mar. 20, 2014ReplyRetweetFavorite
    17:15

Good news for Brentford, as Kevin O'Connor puts pen to paper on a new one-year contract.

Brentford FC
    @BrentfordFC
    Club captain Kevin O'Connor has signed a new one year contract. Read more: brentfordfc.co.uk/news/article/k #kingkev

16:32

Veteran striker Jason Roberts has been forced to call time on his playing career.

Jason Roberts
    @JasonRoberts30
    It is with great sadness that I announce my retirement from professional football on medical advice...Thank You Football for Everything...

16:11

Manchester United defender Marnick Vermijl, who has spent the season on loan with NEC in Holland, is looking to make the first-team squad next season or may leave the club, according to his agent. Tonny Dullers said: "Man United is happy with his progress. They want to loan him to a better team next season, but Marnick isn't keen on it."
    15:19

The latest Sky Sports Scout report is live, this week we check on Gabriel Barbosa.
    12:56

Wojciech Szczesny has revealed he would be happy to pledge himself to Arsenal for the rest of his career.
    If they give me a contract to the end of my career, I'd sign it without any
    hesitation.

We've taken a look through the regional papers to bring you some of the transfer lines doing the rounds:
    LONDON EVENING STANDARD: Wojciech Szczesny would like to stay at Arsenal for the rest of his career.
    LIVERPOOL ECHO: Roberto Martinez has denied reports Manchester United are in advanced talks to sign full-back Seamus Coleman.
    SOUTH LONDON PRESS: Julian Speroni will have to wait to hold talks over his Crystal Palace future.

You can read the full version of Regional Paper Talk here
    11:50

Here is full story on Roberto Martinez talking about the Manchester United links with Seamus Coleman.
    11:43

Leeds have announced the signing of Glenavon striker Robbie McDaid.

Leeds United FC
    @LUFC
    SIGNING: The club can confirm it has completed a deal to sign teenage striker Robbie McDaid from Glenavon. #lufc

11:41

Reports in Portugal claim Manchester United are locked in talks with Sporting Lisbon over William Carvalho. United are reportedly ready to pay either 30million or 18milllion plus a player.

Monday March 24

Manchester City are simply a better side than neighbours United and should be backed on Tuesday, says our tipster Andy Schooler.
    16:55

Rob Lynn: 'Gordon (15:35), you are obviously under the assumption Suarez will stay? That's very brave. You need to remember that playing in Europe means you can't play your best available XI every week so in order to stay near the top next year, you need some strength in depth and quite a lot of it.'
    15:50

Gordon: 'I can't see Brendan Rodgers having any interest whatsoever in Benteke as he is completely the wrong type of player to fit in the team being built. Obviously, Borini will be back next season, fitter and a better player after his season at Sunderland and the only other forward player currently playing in the PL who in my opinion would fit in the team well would be Lallana of Southampton - I assume that Aguero would not be either affordable or available. My guess would be that Liverpool would look to buy a left back, an additional striker and strengthen the midfield options.'
    15:35

Martin: 'Hi Matt, no way was Suarez going to give Sterling a simple tap in - even though his name begins with S. On that note Liverpool should definitely recall Suso next year and go for Shaw. No chance of us paying 30 million for a player!' The likely Champions League money should leave Liverpool in a strong position come the transfer window and it will be interesting to see who they target. With far more football to be played next season I expect a striker or two to be brought in at Anfield. Someone like Benteke could be on the radar if they're willing to shell out. Having said that, clubs are going to be held to ransom over World Cup players this summer.
    15:00

Simon Wan has emailed: 'Just want to share a fun fact to tag on with Rob Carter's Post (13:50). There is only 1 team in history that won the league while allowing more than 1 goal per game on average. That's Manchester United last year. If you look at Man City right now, it's just a little less than 1 goal allow per game. Maybe we are seeing a shift in the games that high power offense can win the title? Although Liverpool's policy of 'we will score double what we let in' is very dangerous, but no one can deny they are superb to watch.'

Martin Nugent: 'Dear Matt, as a football (Liverpool) fan in Germany, I was disappointed that El Clasico was not available here. Must have been a cracker. As for Liverpool, listening to the live commentary on the website meant a very nerve-wracking first half. What really impresses me is that the players are enjoying their football and triumphs and coming out after a game and saying how they are concentrating on the next game only. We can only dream and keep our minds on the next game and not the last game of the season. I don't think that the next week will change much in the race for the title. City will still be favourites and still have games in hand. Mourinho will still be playing down Chelsea's chances, but nobody believes him anyway. They played some very good football on Saturday - not grinding out a 1-0, which they are also capable of. My hope (dream) ist that Suarez and Sturridge just carry on. Make us dream...' Thanks Martin. Suarez looks pretty focused still. He wasn't going to square his hat-trick opportunity for Sterling to tap into the open net was he?
    14:08

Rob Carter: 'On the well established belief that defences win titles, looking at the amount of goals Liverpool have let in (even more than United), it's between Chelsea and Citeh. But whoever wins, it will only be because the other teams let them - just like last year eh '
    13:50

Good afternoon to Gordon Mays, who writes: 'An interesting post from Ken (09.20) where he is all over both Liverpool and Brendan Rodgers like a rash heaping praise on the decision to loan out players like Wisdom & Suso when earlier in the season he was complaining about these situations as he was about the decision not to sell Suarez on the cheap last summer. In his second post at 11.40 he talks about the final match of the season at Newcastle being a banana skin - Ken that fixture is at home as any real Liverpool supporter would know.I would agree with Brad (11.15) that it appeared that neither the referee or linesman saw Oxlaide-Chamberlain handle the ball and I suspect the fourth official made the decision but I do not know whether he saw it live or from TV pictures. I'm not sure whether that the fact the ball was going wide makes any difference to the red card decision as the intent was there for all to see. The referee was however correct in ignoring Oxlaide- Chamberlain's plea that it was him and not Gibbs who should go - imagine playing Barcelona and Messi handles the ball and one of the others say it was them and Messi stays on the pitch! Brad also seems of the opinion that Liverpool have not suffered with injuries this season but to my recollection Johnson, Enrique, Agger, Sakho, Lucas, Gerrard, Allen, Coutinho & Sturridge have all been out injured at some stage of the campaign but instead of moaning and using it as an excuse Liverpool have just got on with the job in hand.'
    12:50

Brad: 'I'm not making excuses, but it's also a fact that the injuries are the reason for the fall away, not the fact the squad choked. Like I say, any team would struggle having so many from one position out injured. But my main point was that it's not a case of Arsenal choking, simply more a case of not having the depth to cope with such an injury list.'
    12:45

Chris: 'Ken, thanks for the kind words. Your post got me thinking at a tangent for some reason. I am wondering whether the last games of the season will also be influenced by players attitudes if they have been picked for their countries as part of the World Cup squad but have nothing to play for in the league (as likely is the case for Newcastle). Will they be less likely to put their body on the line? I'd say that would be natural. Newcastle aside, there are still plenty of banana skins for Chelsea, Liverpool and City. Does anyone see Arsenal's fourth place finish at risk now?' I'd say a lot depends on tomorrow's performance against Swansea. Arsenal have already bounced back from heavy defeats this season and I can certainly see them doing so again. Everton could be there to mount a serious challenge should the wheels fall off Arsenal.

The Chelsea fans are coming in strongly now, it only took a little prompting. Chris Scott says: 'Great performance from Chelsea on Saturday. Where are all the people who said Mourinho coming back a 2nd time won't work? As for the champions league, I'm pretty happy getting PSG as i think we can get past them. The Spanish teams may just have our measure this season, but, as 2012 showed you never know. I feel sorry for Moyes getting Bayern, that could get ugly! Re Brad (11.15), Chelsea were missing ramires, William and eto'o after 5 min. In stepped luiz, schurrle and Torres. It's called depth.'
    12:05

Gillian Heath writes: 'Brad (11.15) - I have to agree about the sending off debacle. In this day and age you expect better. However Brad, all teams go through runs of injuries to either their best players or a long list of them. Arsenal's problem is that every season our depth of squad is found out when the injuries or suspensions mount up. That is why a concerted attempt at the PL title or the CL always falls over. No need for excuses Brad - that is FACT! It is also disappointing as a long time reader of the TC that nowadays we only have fans from the top five clubs (and Man Utd) now contributing? Perhaps the 'our club is better than yours' syndrome that was happening a while back became a little too boring for the everyday fan?'

March 25

Central midfielder Philipp Bargfrede came through the ranks at Werder Bremen and the 25-year-old has been rewarded for his good form in the Bundesliga this season with a new deal which runs until June 2017. Bargfrede has scored twice in 13 appearances, with Werder currently 13th in the table.
    17:30

In his programme notes for tonight's derby against City at Old Trafford, Manchester United manager David Moyes has dropped another hint about a possible summer squad overhaul.

Manchester United
    @ManUtd
    More from Moyes: “Our thoughts are well & truly on the future & our planning is under way, not just for next season but for many to come.”
    Mar. 25, 2014ReplyRetweetFavorite

16:57

Blackburn Rovers have snapped up Gateshead teenager David Carson.

Gateshead FC
    @GatesheadFC
    Congratulations to attacking midfielder or striker, David Carson, who has signed a one-year contract at Championship club Blackburn Rovers.

16:48

Borussia Dortmund may have made it through to the last eight of the Champions League again, having reached the final at Wembley last season, but they trail rivals Bayern Munich by a massive 23 points in the Bundesliga table - and will lose star striker Robert Lewandowski to the German champions in the summer. It's no wonder chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke is talking of major squad investment...
    16:35

Bournemouth have allowed rookie striker Josh O'Hanlon to join Conference North strugglers Oxford City on loan. The Dublin teenager joined the Cherries at the end of January.

AFC Bournemouth
    @afcbournemouth
    Striker @JoshOHanlon9 has joined Oxford City on loan until the end of the season. #afcb pic.twitter.com/jB9nVvleNg

16:03

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has admitted he would be happy to receive enquiries about his players in the summer because it would be a sign that Cardiff City had performed well and stayed in the Premier League. Goalkeeper David Marshall is among the players to have reportedly attracted from other clubs, while the likes of Gary Medel and skipper Steven Caulker have also impressed.

15:26

Felix Magath has insisted it is no time to discuss new contracts with his players as Fulham battle to stay in the Premier League. Steve Sidwell, Damien Duff and John Arne Riise are among those whose deals are set to expire at the end of the season, but Magath wants to focus on the fight for survival.

15:12

Middlesbrough boss Aitor Karanka says he will discuss Lukas Jutkiewicz's future with the striker when he returns from his loan spell at Bolton.
    14:53

Swiss star Xherdan Shaqiri insists that he is happy at Bayern Munich and is not looking to leave. His brother and agent Erdin Shaqiri was quoted on the continent last week suggesting that he would consider offers in the summer, if he did not get more football, but the 22-year-old is not thinking of a departure.

14:10

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has insisted that handing Glen Johnson a new contract is one of his transfer 'priorities' this summer.

We are seeing now the player we all know Liverpool had - which is one of the best full-backs in the world

March 26

Chris Kirkland would like to remain at Sheffield Wednesday but is waiting to discover if he will be offered fresh terms. The 32-year-old goalkeeper has been at Hillsborough since the summer of 2012 but will see his current contract expire at the end of the season.
    11:39

Colchester have freed teenage full-back Mason Spence from his contract, allowing him to link up with St Neot's Town.

Colchester United FC
    @ColU_Official
    Some #ColU news: Mason Spence has left the U's to join St Neot's Town cu-fc.com/news/article/2… http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjplSPDCIAAp32g.jpg

Mar. 26, 2014ReplyRetweetFavorite

11:15

Inter Milan president Erick Thohir has stated that Bacary Sagna is set to remain in England this summer. Thohir revealed earlier this week that Inter had held talks about signing the Arsenal full-back, who is out of contract at the end of the season.
    11:14

James McFadden says he is ready to talk about extending his contract at Motherwell - if the club want to keep him. The 30-year-old's current contract expires in the summer but he insists he is in no rush to leave Fir Park.
    10:54

Alan Smith has been telling Sky Sports News Radio Arsenal need to spend big this summer with a striker the priority.

10:49

Ryan Bertrand, who will see out the season on loan at Aston Villa from Premier League rivals Chelsea, plans to make a decision on his long-term future at the end of the season.
    I have ambitions but I have to be realistic as well. I will sit down and consider all my options. Staying here isn't something I would rule out. I've had years of playing but since I was 17 I have been on loan, basically.
    10:26

France winger Jeremy Menez admits his time at Paris Saint Germain may be up, which could reignite reported interest from Premier League duo Arsenal and Liverpool. The 26-year-old's current contract at the French champions is set to run out at the end of June, and the club's reluctance to offer a new deal has alerted some of Europe's top clubs.
    9:43

Scott Brown has thanked Neil Lennon for turning his Celtic fortunes around and keeping him at Parkhead. The combative midfielder was deemed surplus to requirements by former boss Tony Mowbray and informed that he was free to move on. Brown was able to ride out the storm, though, and has become an influential figure under Lennon.

9:42

Demba Ba is readying himself for a summer switch away from Chelsea and has told RMC that discussions are being held with interested parties.
    My agent has spoken to the club about a departure and he has started speaking with other clubs about a contract for next season.
    9:28

There are plenty of transfer lines to be found in the morning papers:

DAILY MIRROR: Southampton will make a move for Leeds full-back Sam Byram if they lose right-back Calum Chambers in the summer.
    THE SUN: Southampton want to sign Benfica striker Oscar Cardozo as a replacement for Dani Osvaldo.
    DAILY MAIL: Barcelona are ready to pay Lionel Messi a world-record 336,000 a week to keep the Argentina forward at the club.
    For a full round-up of the stories making the back pages on Wednesday, check out our daily Paper Talk feature.
    8:39

We are hearing that Lee Peltier's move to Nottingham Forest from Leeds United is back on, after it appeared he had pulled out of a switch to the City Ground to move to Bolton. He is set to arrive in Nottingham to finalise the move.
    8:35

Tranmere have signed Leeds teenager Gboly Ariyibi on loan for the remainder of the season. Sky Bet League One club Tranmere included him on their bench for their match with Swindon on Tuesday, with the 19-year-old coming on just before half-time.
    7:52

Former Leeds United and Liverpool winger Harry Kewell will retire from football at the end of the current A-League season. The 35-year-old, who is currently captain of Melbourne Heart in his native Australia, made over 250 Premier League appearances for the two clubs between 1995 and 2008.

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast