Join Today

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Transfer Centre

March 27 Portsmouth FC @officialpompey Ryan Bird recalled from his loan spell at Cambridge: tinyurl.com/pll8cbq #pompey Mar. 27, 2014ReplyRetweetFavorite 16:52

March 27

Portsmouth FC
    @officialpompey
    Ryan Bird recalled from his loan spell at Cambridge: tinyurl.com/pll8cbq #pompey
    Mar. 27, 2014ReplyRetweetFavorite

16:52

Cheltenham Town FC
    @CTFCofficial
    Breaking News > We can confirm the loan capture of @Coventry_City forward Billy Daniels (@billydaniels94 ). More to follow... #CTFC #CCFC

16:47

Joel Dixon has joined non-league Boston United from Sunderland.

Sunderland AFC
    @SAFCofficial
    It's a busy day on the loan front as Joel Dixon completes a move: safc.com/news/reserves-…

16:41

John Marquis has joined Northampton from Millwall.

Northampton Town
    @ntfc
    Welcome back to Sixfields @JohnMarquis32

16:40

Rochdale AFC
    @officiallydale
    LOAN NEWS: @Joellogan11 has joined Stalybridge Celtic on loan until the end of the season. Good luck, Joel! #RAFC

16:38

Another we revealed earlier, Bradley Jordan has joined Forest Green Rovers from Charlton.

Charlton Athletic
    @CAFCofficial
    LOAN NEWS: @bjordan47 has joined @FGRFC_Official on loan. Full story --> bit.ly/1j9fAmG Good luck Brad! #cafc http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjvoANtCYAArLrB.jpg

16:37

Burton Albion FC
    @burtonalbionfc
    SIGNING: Ashley Hemmings has joined on a one month loan deal from Walsall #Brewers

16:37

Apostolos Vellios has signed for Blackpool on loan from Everton.

Everton
    @Everton
    LOAN DEAL: @tolisvellios has joined Championship side Blackpool on loan until the send of the season. evertonfc.com/news/archive/2…

16:35

As we told you earlier, Norwich's Jacob Murphy has signed for Southend United.

Southend United
    @SUFCRootsHall
    Full story > Here's the full story on the arrival of @JacobMurphy95 from @NorwichCityFC bit.ly/1h0ssqi http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bjv1WXfCYAAETKF.jpg

Ben Mouncer
    @NorwichCityFC
    CONFIRMED: @JacobMurphy95 has joined @SUFCRootsHall on loan until the end of the season. Good luck, Jacob! #NCFC

16:34

Northern Ireland Under-21 international Ryan Brobbel has re-joined York City on loan from Middlesbrough.

Middlesbrough FC
    @Boro
    Ryan Brobbel is to return to League Two promotion-chasers York City on loan.. He will spend the rest of the season at Bootham Crescent.

16:32

Huddersfield allow Jon Stead to join Yorkshire rivals Bradford City.

Bradford City AFC
    @officialbantams
    #bcafc - City sign Huddersfield Town striker Jon Stead on loan until the end of the season.

16:31

Ipswich Town's Carlos Edwards has joined Millwall on loan until May.

Jonathon Ogle
    @Official_ITFC
    BREAKING NEWS: Skipper @CarlosEdwards7 has joined @MillwallFC on loan until May 3. Full story on Club website #ITFC http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bjv04lACAAAtTmV.jpg

March 28

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew is confident he will have the backing of owner Mike Ashley in the transfer market this summer, with attacking options appearing to be a priority. Loic Remy and Luuk de Jong are both currently on loan at St James' Park, while fellow striker Papiss Cisse has regularly been linked with a move away.
    15:19

Inter Milan have already agreed a deal to sign Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic and are hoping for more signings in the summer. Vidic's United team-mates Patrice Evra and Javier Hernandez have been linked with moves to the San Siro, along with Chelsea striker Fernando Torres, Manchester City forward Edin Dzeko and Real Madrid youngster Alvaro Morata.
    15:01

Bolton boss Dougie Freedman has confirmed he wants to keep hold of Aston Villa right-back Alan Hutton.

Bolton Wanderers FC
    @OfficialBWFC
    DF: "We're trying to extend the loan of Alan Hutton and are currently negotiating with Aston Villa." #BOLvWIG
    Mar. 28, 2014ReplyRetweetFavorite

14:49

The prospect of a new contract for Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba has been mooted for several weeks now. However, Pogba's agent Mino Raiola has confirmed that talks regarding an extension to Pogba's current deal, which runs until 2016, are on hold until after the France international has featured at the World Cup.
    14:23

Reports in the papers last weekend claimed that Sporting Lisbon midfielder William Carvalho's agent had visited Manchester United's training ground ahead of a possible summer move. However, Sporting president Bruno de Carvalho doesn't believe the youngster, who has also been linked with Chelsea and Real Madrid, is in any rush to leave.

March 29

Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem are keen to retain their own identity amid close ties with Chelsea. The Eredivisie outfit have had seven Blues players on loan this season - including Lucas Piazon - leading some to dub them 'Chelsea 2' or 'Chelsea B'. Vitesse's technical director Mohammed Allach has welcomed the relationship between the sides, but dismissed a suggestion the Dutch outfit could follow the route of Watford, who last season took loan signings running into double figures from other clubs controlled by their owners, the Pozzo family.
    That's too much. Then, you can consider yourself a second team. That's not us. You have to keep your own identity. That's what's so beautiful in this relationship, we respect each other's identity.

13:56

Thibaut Courtois says his future lies at Atletico Madrid or Chelsea, with links to any other clubs merely speculation. It has been suggested that La Liga giants Real Madrid may look to a man currently in occupancy of the number one jersey at their cross-city rivals when the transfer window re-opens. Courtois, though, claims there is no chance of him ending up at Santiago Bernabeu.
    The talk about Real Madrid is only rumours, it is not true. The one thing I have always said is that it's Atletico or Chelsea.

13:03

Paulinho admits that a lack of game time at Tottenham Hotspur since Tim Sherwood took the managerial reins has left him frustrated. The Brazil international formed part of a summer influx of big-money acquisitions at White Hart Lane in 2013, with former coach Andre Villas-Boas looking to reshape his squad. A positive start bode well for the Samba star, but he has fallen out of favour since Spurs opted for a change in the dugout.
    I understand the team rotation because that's how it works here, but I am not feeling well or comfortable. I want to be present, I want to play.

13:01

Stoke City manager Mark Hughes says that forward Peter Odemwingie was well worth waiting for, having tried to sign him initially last summer before a swap deal was agreed with Cardiff City in January.
    12:30

Clint Hill is prepared to be patient as he waits to discover whether he will be offered a new contract at Queens Park Rangers. Harry Redknapp's men are currently battling to bounce back to the Premier League and the experienced defender's fate could rest on the outcome of their promotion bid.
    11:10

Arsene Wenger has admitted that missing out on the signing of Yaya Toure in 2003 is among his biggest regrets in football. Toure was making a name for himself with Belgian side Beveren at the start of his career when he linked up with the Gunners for a trial period and impressed Wenger, but after a delay in gaining a work permit he opted instead to join Metalurh Donetsk in Ukraine.
    Let’s not forget that Yaya Toure had an agreement with us and it’s not because we did not want to sign him that he went to Ukraine.

10:54

According to reports in France, there is a chance Poland international Grzegorz Krychowiak could be on his way to the Premier League this summer. L’Equipe says that Reims rejected an offer from an unnamed English club last year for the highly-rated midfielder, but that they would be prepared to let him go at the end of this season.

March 30

Neil Lennon says he is set to meet with the Celtic board to discuss a long-term strategy as he wants the club to be able to compete in Europe:
    Looking at the latter half of our Champions League campaign this year, we need a bit of extra investment in the squad in terms of quality. I want Champions League football every year and to do that we need to bring players in. I have a good core here that I'm very happy with. I just need to add a bit of quality, a few faces.

13:07

Chelsea playmaker Oscar has already been linked with a summer transfer to big-spending Paris St Germain, but he insists he is settled at Stamford Bridge:
    Jose (Mourinho) has shown me I can be one of the best. The manager has given me this confidence and I have grown better and better under him. Now I just hope I can keep on getting better and win titles with him at the end of the season.

12:33

Swansea City boss Garry Monk hopes there is a summer deal to be done which will keep Jonathan de Guzman in South Wales. The Holland international will see a second loan agreement with the Swans expire at the end of the season.

I would imagine he is a player who is at the top of our list, he is a very good player and he suits how we play.
    12:11

Christian Eriksen maintains that he has no regrets at having opted to link up with Tottenham last summer, with leading lights from across Europe - including Paris St Germain - having closely monitored his situation at Ajax for some time before the transfer door was finally opened.
    12:09

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers believes Luis Suarez's form means he could soon be considered a 100million player.
    If you look at the top people in the world, the Ronaldos and the Messis, the people who have been doing it for five or six years, he would be right at that level. He is certainly on his way towards it.
    11:27

Steve Sidwell is hoping to end the season with Fulham still in the Premier League and with fresh terms on the table.
    I am obviously giving my all and hopefully showing the club what I am worth. I love it here.

10:55

Everton will wait until the summer before addressing the issue of loan star Romelu Lukaku's future. The Belgium international will see out the campaign at Goodison Park having joined the Toffees on a season-long agreement from Chelsea.
    10:22

There are plenty of transfer lines to be found in the national newspapers:
    THE PEOPLE: Liverpool will try to use Pepe Reina as bait in their bid to land Swiss midfield pair Gokhan Inler and Valon Behrami from Napoli this summer.
    SUNDAY EXPRESS: Lazio midfielder Antonio Candreva, 27, is being tracked by Premier League trio Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United.
    THE SUN ON SUNDAY: Everton and Arsenal have joined Tottenham in the hunt for Nurnberg striker Josip Drmic.
    For a full round-up of the stories making the back pages on Sunday, check out our daily Paper Talk feature.
    9:52

The Sunday Mirror reports that Turkish outfit Galatasaray have expressed an interest in Chelsea full-back Ashley Cole, who will be out of contract in the summer, but the Sun on Sunday says Real Madrid are ready to offer the England international a two-year deal.

March 31

Another man set to see out the season on loan is Alan Hutton, with Aston Villa agreeing to let him stay on at Bolton.

Bolton Wanderers FC
    @OfficialBWFC
    #BWFC have extended the loan deal of Alan Hutton from @AVFCOfficial for the remainder of the season.
    Mar. 31, 2014ReplyRetweetFavorite

11:52

Notts County have tied up a deal which will keep Blackpool forward Nathan Tyson on loan at Meadow Lane for the remainder of the campaign.

Blackpool FC
    @BFC1887
    Nathan Tyson has extended his loan with @Official_NCFC until the end of the season. blackpoolfc.co.uk/news/article/t…
    Mar. 31, 2014ReplyRetweetFavorite

11:51

Southampton's new director Hans Hofstetter insists the club will not have to sell any of their highly-prized England youngsters this summer. Hofstetter has been at St Mary's since January, arriving shortly after Nicola Cortese's departure, and although he says he inherited a tricky financial situation there are plans in place that do not involve selling the likes of Luke Shaw, Adam Lallana and Jay Rodriguez.
    11:25

Newcastle United defender Mathieu Debuchy insists his main focus is making France's World Cup squad, amid further speculation about his future. Paris Saint Germain have been strongly linked with the full-back, but Debuchy insists he is only thinking of this summer's World Cup finals.
    I am still under contract at Newcastle and I focus on the end of the season and the World Cup. But PSG is a great club, it is a dream - but that is for all players.

10:29

Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes is confident that midfielder Barry Robson will sign a new deal at Pittodrie. Robson's current contract expires in the summer and the club have opened talks with the 35-year-old over an extension.
    10:28

Borussia Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke has confirmed the club have offered midfield star Ilkay Gundogan a new contract. The 23-year-old has just over 12 months left on his current deal and a host of clubs from around Europe - including Manchester United - are being strongly linked with a move for the Germany international.
    9:32

Jonathan de Guzman admits he would be more than happy to prolong his stay in south Wales with Swansea. The Dutch international is in his second season on loan at the Liberty Stadium from Villarreal, and Swansea have declared an interest in signing him on a permanent deal.
    9:13

Stephen Ireland credits Mark Hughes with saving his career as he prepares to sign a new long-term contract at Stoke City.
    In the summer, it was difficult for me to know where I was going to be. Would I be playing in the Championship? Would I be going on loan? My time at Villa wasn't very nice, you're going to lose a bit of passion when you train on your own for six months.
    9:12

Former Chelsea star Alex insists he has nothing against his former club as they prepare to meet in the UEFA Champions League this week. Alex comes up against his former employers for the first time since leaving them in January 2012 when Andre Villas-Boas sold him to Paris Saint Germain.

Wednesday April 2

Thanks for your participation today. We will be back next Monday from 9.00am. See you then.

Gordon Mays says: "As a Liverpool fan I think Moyes is the only real candidate for Manager Of The Season - he is doing a great job at Man Utd and I hope he stays for every single day of that six year contract. Everyone said that he had taken Everton as far as they could possibly go but Martinez has shown that not to be the case and moved them forward to the next level."
    It's been another hectic day but if you have any comment to make regarding any of the latest football news then drop us a line.
    A quick reminder what we have on our site at the moment. The Weekend Review looks back on Liverpool's rise to the top of the Premier League. We also have all the team news ahead of the midweek games and a look ahead to to the action later in the week. Below you will see the latest transfer lines and a link to Nottingham Forest's pursuit of Stuart Pearce.
    Manager of the Year nominations shortly. Tony Pulis? Brendan Rodgers? Or, what about Roberto Martinez?
    Giggs confident! Ryan Giggs says Manchester United do not consider themselves to be underdogs.
    Moyes ready! Manchester United manager David Moyes is confident his team will be able to cope with Bayern Munich in Tuesday's Champions League quarter-final first leg at Old Trafford.
    Busy old afternoon especially with Champions League and football league fixtures this week.
    Do you agree with Hefin? Has Moyes still got the backing from supporters and the club? Get in touch...

Manchester United fan, Hefin Davies has been in touch: "We may have won the league last season but many at the time said it was more due to a lack of willing challengers than anything else, and while I don't fully subscribe with that, we were tonked in the Europa League a season before with Fergie. David Moyes wasn't brought in to 'steady the ship' or to win something this season, I know it's been below acceptable this year, but I still believe he could become good enough by learning on the job - THAT is why Fergie chose him, to become a stable manager for us, to get rid of him now would be to defeat the object of asking Fergie who should follow him."
    David Moyes and Ryan Giggs are speaking at a media conference ahead of Manchester United's Champions League tie against Bayern Munich. More to follow...
    Nasri deal! Samir Nasri has revealed he has opened talks with Manchester City over a new deal at the Etihad Stadium..
    Reina future! Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has revealed that he will look to land Pepe Reina on a permanent basis this summer.
    Pearce Talks! Nottingham Forest are to reopen talks with Stuart Pearce over their vacant manager's job, according to Sky sources.
    It's stepped up a notch after the lunch break. Liverpool and City transfer news on the way.
    Don't forget to stay on our site for the very latest before, during and after all the Champions League action this week. Chelsea will expect to progress against Paris Saint-Germain but few are giving Manchester United any hope against Bayern Munich. There's plenty going on in the football league too so keep an eye out.
    Rafael a doubt. Full story on the United defender's absence from training on Monday morning.

Gordon Mays has been in touch: "I would like to revisit last Tuesday's Manchester derby and in particular the incident involving Fellaini & Zabaleta. Fellaini is standing still with his foot on the ball waits for Zabaleta to approach, then sways to the left and smashes his elbow into Zabaleta's face and receives only a yellow card from referee Michael Oliver who was standing around 8 yards away in the perfect place to view the incident. It wasn't just a foul, not even assault, it was nothing short of GBH and if it had happened in a city centre late on a Friday evening and been captured by CCTV the culprit would have been punished by a custodial sentence. Under the pathetic FA rules this incident cannot be revisited because a yellow card was issued and so the player gets away with it. Moyes said post match it wasn't even a foul which is laughable and Fellaini was reported in the press as saying Zabaleta pushed his jaw against my elbow. Suarez gets a 10 game ban for scratching Ivanovic's arm with his teeth and I recently feared the death penalty was going to be reinstated for Pardew after the minor touchline incident against Hull but this one which is many many times more serious gets little attention and no punishment whatsoever. Danny Welbeck should also have been red carded in this game for a two footed lunge again on Zabaleta but again got away with it while Michael Oliver continues to referee matches rather than audition for the next Specsavers advert." Some strong words from Gordon. I think Fellaini was incredibly lucky but it wasn't as bad as Suarez's bite.

April 4

Iago Aspas has told FTBpro that he may have to leave Liverpool this summer after 12 frustrating months at Anfield. The 26-year-old forward was snapped up from Celta Vigo in 2013 with the intention of being another creative link in the final third of the field.
    I'm not 20 years old anymore, I can't go on loan and explode. I think the best would be to transfer to another club that I find the best fit for myself and the club.
    18:49

Jordan Rhodes says he is aiming to play Premier League football and hopes to fire Blackburn Rovers there. The prolific frontman has regularly been linked with a transfer to take him into the top flight, but he intends to make that step at Ewood Park.
    18:31

Doncaster have agreed a deal with Manchester United to extend Sam Johnstone's loan deal for the rest of the season. Johnstone has featured in 11 matches for the Yorkshire club and has been getting rave reviews from the coaching staff at the Keepmoat Stadium.
    18:29

Blackpool have decided not to extend the loan spell of Kevin Foley, who will return to his parent club Wolves. The full-back had been expected to prolong his stay at Bloomfield Road until the end of the season.
    18:04

Manchester United boss David Moyes says Marouane Fellaini is beginning to justify his 27.5m price tag. Moyes signed the Belgium international from Everton last summer after the duo spent five years together at Goodison Park.
    It's not an easy move coming to Manchester United, as I can tell you. For Marouane, I think it's proved equally as difficult, but I have to say I think he has done a lot of good things and he has improved.
    17:45

Tomasz Kuszczak is targeting a return to the Premier League in 2014/15, with talks being held with interested parties. The former Manchester United goalkeeper is currently on the books at Brighton & Hove Albion, but will see his contract expire at the end of the season.

17:16

AC Milan CEO Adriano Galliani has dismissed suggestions that striker Mario Balotelli is unsettled at the club and looking for an exit. The ex-Manchester City frontman has been linked with Chelsea and Monaco. Meanwhile, Galliani has remained coy on the future of Brazilian star Kaka, with Milan's lack of Champions League football next season casting doubts over whether he will stay.
    17:12

Swansea boss Garry Monk has identified Wilfried Bony as the player he wants to 'build the team around' and expects the club to do all they can this summer to keep the Ivorian in South Wales.
    It may be that there is interest but you could say that about players in every team. We want to build a team around him and players like him, and the good thing is that we are not a selling club.
    17:09

Watford striker Troy Deeney believes some of his team-mates need to "shape up" or face being shipped out in the summer.
    The old manager left and the new one has come in and given everybody a kick up the backside. You have to step your game up or you won't be here. Simple as that.
    16:28

Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre admits the club will look to bolster their ranks this summer if a return to UEFA Champions League competition is secured.
    Hopefully if we achieve our Euro dream, then we will need bigger depth. We are talking daily with Brendan about this and others who deal with player recruitment.
    15:58

Cardiff City manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed he would like to sign on-loan Manchester United winger Wilfried Zaha on a permanent basis. Solskjaer was also sceptical about speculation linking Zaha with a return to Crystal Palace in the week when Cardiff face Tony Pulis' side in south Wales.

Monday April 7

John Waddington, a 'grateful, if very chastened life long fan of LFC' writes: 'Good morning Matthew. Well one thing is for certain you never stop learning in this great game of football do you. Here is me thinking that Liverpool Football Club have been the most successful English club of all time and that since January 2013 they have been the best team in the ELP on points won and performances. But no, I learn this morning that all this achievement and level of performance over very very many seasons is based on being 'ultra lucky'. Well as I said you live and learn don't ' you.'
    11:42

Chris Flintstone: 'Matt, what impact do the TC feel the transfer ban will have on Barcelona? With Puyol retiring and Valdes looking for another club, Xavi ageing, I think that the ban could signal the end of their dominance of European football. Of course they will be up there in the top 10 but I think will just be off the pace. Thoughts?' I suspect a two-window transfer ban would have a massive impact on Barcelona, although the club insist they can explain the matter to FIFA and have appealed, so it's far from set in stone just yet.
    11:00

Bryn: 'Arsenal fell away as all of our midfielders got injured. I am not using it as an excuse, but the suggestion that our squad was lopsided is narrow-minded. Walcott, Ozil, Wilshere, Ramsey. And let's not also forget that we have started conceding heavily since we lost Koscielny which has ruined our back four.'
    10:55

Rob Lynn writes to say: 'On the manager of the year front, Steve Bruce deserves a mention as well. I think they'll win the FA Cup and they may well end up in the top half. Looking forward to next Sunday, I think City will win at Anfield due to the fact Liverpool's defence just isn't up to it and there's only so many games they can get ultra lucky in.' I'd agree that City will be decent value to get something from the game. In fact the draw is already priced up at 23/10 with Sky Bet and that looks tempting.
    10:48

Darshan Shah has kindly read our Weekend Review and responds with: 'Morning Matt, what a weekend of football it was. As i said last Monday, Arsenal are in a very tricky position to finish fourth, though I feel that they might just get over the line again this year. And as far as the league goes, it is Man City's for sure. And coming to the Champions League, I cant see Chelsea going through, which would mean The Special One ending the season trophy-less!! We also have a very tough one against Bayern, but with Martinez, Alcantra & Schweinsteiger all not available, I am just being a little optimistic on our chances. Real Madrid have surely booked their place in the semis and I fancy the other Madrid club to join them. A very interesting midweek of CL football ahead.'
    10:38

Jay Dowman: 'Good point raised by Noel, if the league ended right now, who would be your manager of the year (leaving out the obvious answer of Moyes)? Rodgers for our massive improvement (continuing on from good 2nd half of season last year)? Martinez for his work at Everton? Pulis for saving Palace from the drop when they looked a certainty to go down? Anyone else enter the race?' Can't think of anyone else in the picture, surely not Mourinho or Pellegrini were they to win it? If the league ended now then Rodgers is top and has to get the nod, but if they come up short then Pulis has to be a massive player given what he's done at Palace. Just remarkable if you think back where they were when Ian Holloway stepped/was moved aside.
    10:30

Rich Lynn has his say: 'Morning TC'ers. Well, having won the Champions League and FA Cup on penalties in the last decade, it looks like Liverpool might win the league on them too!! City still for me though. On the joke refereeing at Upton Park, a lot has been said of the decisions levelling out. Well, one thing is for sure. Andy Carroll did a lot less to Mignolet for their goal than Skrtel and Henderson were doing to Carroll every single corner. I agree, it was a foul on Mignolet and the second penalty clearly wasn't, but if going by the rules West Ham could have had countless penalties. Resembled American Football with the offensive line stopping the defence getting to the Quarterback! Still, sets it all up perfectly for next weekend. Just wish Brenny would stop going on about how wonderful Stevie G is at penalties - latest being England will be fine in WC if he can take all 5. He has missed NINE for Liverpool and I certainly remember him missing in World Cup penalty shoot-out. As for Arsenal, really going as predicted by pretty much everyone all season. Squad too small and ridiculously lop-sided with no strikers and a plethora of midfielders. Were always going to fall away in Feb/March, was just funny to see the fans think they had a prayer of winning it. Still fancy them for the double though. FA Cup and their 4th placed trophy. Meaning Arsene can go on a real high. Funniest thing was hearing some fans say maybe a year out of CL will do us good as we can't win it anyway. I think they forget that that would mean the Europa!! Trust me, you don't want that.'
    10:20

Paul Cressy writes: 'Morning Matt ,Gentlemen, I think I was one of the only Liverpool supporters on TC who really thought we could win the league. As the weeks go by, our position gets stronger .We are the best team in the League this season ,and have played the most attractive Football .But it's not by accident, the ethic is one of hard work which all can see and togetherness .You can see that they do not want to lose .Even yesterday ,the result was ground out ,even with dubious Penalty decisions, they did not want to lose ,chances were created as per usual .All the doubters that constantly slated Liverpool have all disappeared now, and if we do win it, we will have won it on merit. Do City pose a threat on Sunday ? Not if we are on our A game. This is a very Good Liverpool side, and I for one cannot wait for Champions League next season...' I think realistically Man City will pose a serious threat, no matter how well Liverpool perform.
    10:12

Noel Madden has changed tack, and I like it. He says: 'Hi Matthew. Just wanted to say what a brilliant job Tony Pulis has done at Palace. A few seasons ago he was branded as a long ball manager who sent teams out to kick opponents. What he was doing was getting the most out of the type of player he had. At Palace they have played some decent football. I for one would not mind to see him at Spurs next season. He certainly seems to get players playing for him and doesn't accept anything less than 100% commitment, something that has been lacking at Spurs for a few seasons now.' A very interesting point as I suspect you might be in the minority of Spurs fans there, Noel. But there's no doubt he gets the best out of what he has at his disposal. To me eye, that particular managerial asset has been drastically overlooked at certain 'bigger' clubs this season.
    10:05

Dennis Davies is feeling a little disgruntled on this wet and windy Monday morning. He writes: 'Good morning Matthew. The only thing that I can say about our performance yesterday is that there is not one of the starting line-up that I would be sorry to see leave the club. I just despair at seeing players like Arteta in our colours - no pace, no desire, no ability - and that's our captain. The only good thing yesterday was to see Ramsey back - at least he tried to get forward. And why O-C didn't start is truly beyond me. Wouldn't put too much on us to beat Wigan next week!' Ox on the bench looked an odd one to me too Dennis. He'd be in my starting XI for England, for what that's worth.
    10:00
    The Weekend Review has just landed on the site so do have a read and let me know your thoughts on the matters at hand. It's called a review, but we also look ahead to the Champions League and next Sunday's Anfield clash between Liverpool and Man City.

April 8

Thanks for joining the debate in the Transfer Centre today, join us again next Monday when we'll be discussing the fallout from Liverpool v Man City at Anfield, among other things.

Rich Lynn: "It's like a dark cloud has been lifted from above White Hart Lane - ironic really as there are dark clouds all over today! Looking forward to a party atmosphere now tonight."

Jay Dowman: "Colin, I do appreciate your point but with the squad City have, they could play three teams of a high calibre, not THAT difficult is it and it's something Liverpool will have to contend with next season, a lack of squad size."

Spurs fan Rich Lynn: "I think the final nail in Dim Sherwood's coffin was coming out saying that it would take a bid of 100m for Spurs to sell Lloris...Levy is holding out for at least 120m!"

Chris Scott has come in relatively late in the day. But no less welcome, of course. He says: "I think the best way to look at penalties is to think if you'd be happy if it was given against your team. A little bit of imparciality. In thinking along these lines, any Liverpool fan who still says all the 2nd penalty was right on Saturday is not being honest with themselves. The 1st penalty on Saturday aside, surely they can't continue receiving 2 penalties every game. Although Suarez does seem to believe they deserve 10 a game!"
    Swedish referee Jonas Eriksson will take charge of Man United's Champions League clash with Bayern Munich on Wednesday. He felt the wrath of Manuel Pellegrini after Man City's clash with Barcelona.

Colin Ross: "I think the difference this year is that we have a top four club not playing CL football in fact they went out of the cups pretty quick. Coming up with a line up on Saturday when you have Barca or Bayern on Tuesday is tough. Credit to City for handling this in fact winning one of the cups and in position to win the league. Everton looked terrific on Sunday but they also have the luxury of pretty well fielding the same squad every week. Injuries are also a huge factor and killed off Arsenal's season. Of course no one talks about United's season long injury problems so I won't start. Martinez for me is the best manager in the Prem and I think they will nick fourth spot. So City, Chelsea Liverpool Everton final four."
    I little bit more detail on the Sherwood story here, but nothing concrete as of yet.

Sky Bet have a market open for the next permanent Tottenham manager, which can be found here. Louis Van Gaal is currently the 1/2 favourite.
    Sky Sources indicate Tottenham will replace Tim Sherwood in the summer months - possibly the worst kept 'secret' in football. More to follow...

John Parry: "Interesting to see Dermot Gallagher's comments on SSN this morning, that both were penalties yesterday, and West Hams goal should not have stood, on 1st,2nd and 3rd glance, our 2nd penalty was not a penalty, however listening the reasoning and an explanation that the WH Keeper also clipped and seem to grab flanagans foot can now confirm I am in agreement with the person whom has passed an exam on the rules - not mine and people's interpretations! The actual quality of refereeing overall as well as most teams performances, it's been a pretty interesting but overall poor weekend of football! I still feel the difference between the two teams (lfc vs city ) as Rich has pointed out, will be our defence, to which Sakho yesterday (baring in mind 1st game back ) looked pretty decent, and the atmosphere, but most importantly how the referee deals with the latter of the two! Interesting enough did anyone see the West Ham Keepers slap on Henderson in the 1st half? Raised hand = Red Card! Then going in on Flanagan after the penalty ( which he didn't ask for nor appeal for ) with his head!"

Martin Nugent joins the debate with: "Hi Matt and all TCers. Very glad to read that City are still favourites and our defence hopeless. This means we can approach the next game without that added pressure! And that is what BR has consistently done - taken the pressure on himself and away from the players and set the team up for the next game. We dream on! Several contenders for Manager of the Year: all three mentioned earlier have done a fantastic job. As for Barca - I believe they'll find a way of getting round it. And I bet their 'keeper next season is not on their books as of today."

John Waddington, a "grateful, if very chastened life long fan of LFC" writes: "Good morning Matthew. Well one thing is for certain you never stop learning in this great game of football do you. Here is me thinking that Liverpool Football Club have been the most successful English club of all time and that since January 2013 they have been the best team in the ELP on points won and performances. But no, I learn this morning that all this achievement and level of performance over very very many seasons is based on being "ultra lucky". Well as I said you live and learn don't ' you."

April 10

There are plenty of transfer lines to be found in the national newspapers:
    THE SUN: Manchester United are plotting a 6 million swoop for PSV Eindhoven defender Santiago Arias.
    DAILY MIRROR: Arsenal midfielder Santi Cazorla admits his side team lack belief and a winning mentality - and hinted at a move if they don't end their nine-year trophy drought soon.
    DAILY STAR: Sardar Azmoun has revealed Arsenal and AC Milan have started talks with Rubin Kazan to sign him.
    For a full round-up of the stories making the back pages on Wednesday, check out our daily Paper Talk feature.
    7:34

Good morning and welcome back to the transfer clockwatch, we will have the morning's headlines in Paper Talk shortly.
    22:59

That's it for tonight, join us again from 7AM tomorrow morning for all the morning's top headlines.
    22:59

David Moyes stated after Manchester United's Champions League defeat to Bayern Munich that they had already been talking with potential new signings.

Any players that we have sort of quietly discussed with I think they are more than happy to join Manchester United.

19:53

Dagenham have extended the loan of Charlton striker Ade Azeez until the end of the season.
    19:52

Sevilla's Colombian striker Carlos Bacca has poured cold water on speculation linking him with a move to Barcelona or the Premier League this summer.
    19:50

Wolfsburg general manager Klaus Allofs remains confident of keeping Luiz Gustavo, but admits success at this summer's World Cup in Brazil could lead to the midfielder leaving the Volkswagen Arena.
    17:23

Former England striker Michael Bridges confirms his retirement from football.

Michael Bridges
    @MickyBridges8
    To the Fans of Sunderland,Leeds,Newcastle,BristolC, Carlisle,HullC,SydneyFC,Newcastle Jets,thanks 4 the support & the good memories
    #respect
    Apr. 9, 2014ReplyRetweetFavorite

16:56

French defender Dorian Dervite has revealed he is in talks with Charlton over a new long-term deal at The Valley.
    16:51

Blackpool are leading the chase for Dutch defender Tom Beugelsdijk, Sky Sports understands. Beugelsdijk spoke with Blackpool officials before watching their game from their game with Derby on Tuesday.
    16:12

Feyenoord will see what the summer brings after ending contract extension talks with Stefan de Vrij and Daryl Janmaat.

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast