Join Today

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: SPORT News

Alan Curtis says he's happy to continue managing Swansea in the short term despite the lack of assurances over his

Alan Curtis says he's happy to continue managing Swansea in the short term despite the lack of assurances over his future.

Since Garry Monk's sacking on December 10, Curtis has been at the helm and is guaranteed to remain in place for the club's first match of the new year - a visit to Manchester United.

Curtis remains focused on activities on the pitch and said: "If we had lost four games then there would have been huge pressure on the club to appoint a new manager.

"But the results and performances have been good. Most importantly the performances are good. We've shown a lot of spirit and character and showed the ability to play the type of game we want to play."

IBRA GOING NOWHERE

Paris Saint-Germain striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic insisted he has no intention of leaving the French champions despite his contract being due to run out at the end of the season.

The 34-year-old, who played in PSG's 1-0 friendly win over his former club Inter Milan in Doha on Wednesday, has been heavily linked with a move to MLS and the Premier League.

But Ibrahimovic said that "nothing was on the table" regarding future offers and he was happy in the French capital with PSG riding high in their bid for a fourth straight Ligue 1 title.

"I have a beautiful relationship with PSG. I have no intention of leaving," said the Swede when asked about his future plans.

Leicester are targeting a move for Dynamo Kiev defender Aleksandar Dragovic, according to the Daily Mail.

Claudio Ranieri is keen on bringing a defender to the King Power Stadium in January and Dragovic could be his man after the Ukraine club hinted they could let him leave for 16m in the winter window.

Ranieri could also be in need of a central defender after starting negotiations with Sampdoria for the sale of Yohan Benalouane.

The clubs are talking about a 7.3m deal with young full back Pedro Pereira heading the other way.

LEICESTER WANT VARDY TALKS

Leicester are ready to offer striker Jamie Vardy a new contract as they look to ward off interest from Chelsea and Manchester City, writes the Daily Telegraph.

It is claimed the Foxes want to start negotiations with the England forward in the next few weeks.

However, Chelsea have reportedly made the 28-year-old their primary target as Guus Hiddink looms to turn around the club’s season.

ODEMWINGIE REGRETS QPR DRIVE

The January Transfer Window often throws up last-minute moves and deals falling through, but few compare to Peter Odemwingie’s attempted Deadline Day switch in 2013.

In what has become arguably the most famous transfer deal never to be completed, the-then West Brom forward famously drove the 120 miles from Birmingham to London in an attempt to speed up a late move to Queens Park Rangers.

In the end the move couldn't be completed the 11pm transfer deadline and reflecting on that evening three years on, Odemwingie told Sky Sports News HQ: "I didn't even know what to think; I was laughing and almost crying at the same time! I believed it was done, I had nothing to hide.

"When the cameras came, I didn't feel awkward to say 'yes, this is where we are'. Unless you see it on paper nothing is done, so that's why I said it's a 90 per cent done deal.

"They (West Brom players) were confused a bit and they knew I believed the deal was done. But then it was tough of course with the fans. (After the move collapsed) I said I'm going to play a song from Akon, Lonely, and drive home. I wish it all didn't happen, but that's life."

WEST HAM BACK IN FOR ZAZA?

West Ham are ready to bid €18m to sign Juventus striker Simone Zaza, reports Gazzetto dello Sport.

The Hammers reportedly tried to sign the 24-year-old in the summer but Juve wanted to keep hold.

Now it appears they are ready to let the Italian international leave but not for less than €25m.

Mark Hughes says Stoke will splash the cash in January if the right player becomes available.

Stoke broke their club transfer record in the summer with the 12m signing of Xherdan Shaqiri.

“There is no urgency to act in the window. We have had conversations to ask about availability. Whether we act remains to be seen,” he said.

“The whole range of quality players that could be on offer in the summer isn't always the case in January.

“You have to be ready to move quickly, which we are. If the right player becomes available then we will be ready to act.”

Real Madrid are reportedly set to bid €45m to land Roma midfielder Miralem Pjanic, according to Gazzetta dello Sport.

However, the player is contracted to the Serie A side until 2018 and has dismissed reports linking him with the Bernabeu.

"In this moment I'm concentrated only on Roma", Pjanic said.

"We are still in the race for the Scudetto and we must play the Champions League last 16. For this reason, my departure is impossible".

BILIC HAPPY WITH SQUAD

West Ham manager Slaven Bilic does not envisage the club being busy during the January transfer window…

"The situation with injuries looks very bright now. When we have a full squad we have a really good team and enough players,” Bilic said.

"I don't think we are going to be very active in this transfer window unless something exceptional comes along. We are happy.

"If we are lucky [Diafra] Sakho will be back early February and we are happy with the squad. We did a good job during the summer.”

Borussia Dortmund have rejected a €30m bid from Juventus for midfielder Ilkay Gundogan, according to Goal.

The Serie A champions are keen to strengthen their squad in January and have reportedly made Gundogan their top target.

However, Dortmund are not willing to sell the 25-year-old halfway through the season as they look to regain their place in the Champions League.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast