Join Today

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: SPORT News

Ted's Notebook Special: F1's new tyre rules for 2016 explained Confused by F1's new tyre rules for 2016? In a

Ted's Notebook Special: F1's new tyre rules for 2016 explained
    Confused by F1's new tyre rules for 2016? In a Notebook Special, Ted Kravitz hijacks the Midweek Report studio to explain what's changed and the likely impact on race strategies - with the help of some post-it notes and play-doh!

The changes have been designed to encourage variation between race strategies with Pirelli allocating two sets of tyres for the race (only one of which must be used) and one set which can only be used in Q3. Each driver will then be able to choose 10 further sets from the three compounds to take their weekend allocation to 13.

Joseph O'Brien reiterated his intention to scale back his riding commitments in the likelihood of gaining a trainer's licence in the spring.

The dual Irish champion jockey does not yet have an official training licence for runners under Rules, but he did saddle his first point-to-point winner at the start of November.

He was also credited by his father, Aidan, for preparing Ivanovich Gorbatov ahead of his impressive hurdling debut at Leopardstown on Sunday.

Joseph O'Brien said on Tuesday: "I probably won't be riding a whole lot - maybe the odd heavyweight - but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

"I have to do the trainers' course in March or April, or whenever it comes up, and from there then I'll have my trainer's licence.

"I was so lucky to get to ride some of the great horses that I got to ride and I always knew that'd I'd never be able to ride forever.

"I didn't eat much and was always sweating but jockeys the world over do that and I wasn't any different to them, really."

World Darts Championship: James Wade, Michael Smith and Jelle Klaasen record wins
    James Wade kept his World Darts Championship challenge alive with a 4-1 victory over Jamie Caven on Tuesday afternoon.

The eight-time major winner has never reached an Alexandra Palace final but has made short work of every opponent so far this year including cruising past the out-matched Caven in the third round.

Wade ripped through his first set, sealing it with an emphatic shot at double tops, but his scoring noticeably slipped in a below-par second set that allowed Caven to draw level at 1-1.

PDC announces increase in prize money for 2016 and Players Championship Finals change
    A total of 650,000 will be added to the prize funds across the biggest Professional Darts Corporation events next season.

Worldwide PDC events in 2016 will carry funds of more than 10m, with the addition of prize money to the William Hill World Darts Championship, Unibet European Championship and Cash Converters Players Championship Finals.

There will also be an additional 15,000 on offer at each of the 20 Players Championship tournaments, which will be worth 75,000 apiece and add a total of 300,000 to prize funds on the PDC ProTour.

Sir Bradley Wiggins: I'll never match Sir Steve Redgrave and Sir Chris Hoy
    Sir Bradley Wiggins believes he will never be on the level of legendary British Olympians Sir Steve Redgrave and Sir Chris Hoy, even if he wins a fifth gold and eighth medal in total at Rio 2016.

Wiggins can become Britain's most prolific Olympian ever by reaching the podium in the team pursuit next summer, eclipsing Hoy's seven medals and pulling further clear of Redgrave's six.

Wiggins has also claimed seven world titles and became Britain's first Tour de France winner during a remarkable career, yet he still feels he falls short of Hoy and Redgrave's achievements.

How Rory McIlroy, Jordan Spieth and Jason Day pushed to be world No 1
    2015 has brought more change at the top of the official golf world rankings than any other year since the system was introduced nearly three decades ago.

Rory McIlroy's record-breaking run during the second half of 2014 saw him head in to the New Year with nearly a three point advantage over the chasing pack, with Henrik Stenson's season-ending DP World Tour Championship victory putting him in second spot ahead of former world No 1 Adam Scott.

That lead was soon extended on the Desert Swing, with a runners-up finish in Abu Dhabi followed by victory in Dubai to move McIlroy more than four points in front.

Barcelona head coach Luis Enrique eyes potential new signings
    Barcelona head coach Luis Enrique has indicated there could yet be movement in and out of the Camp Nou when the transfer window reopens in January.

The club were barred from registering new players for two consecutive transfer windows in 2015 after breaking FIFA rules on the signing of foreign players under the age of 16.

But it did not stop them winning five trophies this calendar year and they will be able to hand debuts to off-season recruits Arda Turan and Aleix Vidal, who have not been able to play so far this season due to the sanction, from January 4.

Lionel Messi stats as he gets ready to play his 500th Barcelona game
    As Lionel Messi prepares to make his 500th appearance for Barcelona, we look at some of his incredible statistics.
    The 28-year-old is expected to be in the Barca starting line-up that takes on Real Betis at the Nou Camp on Wednesday night and the game will be a landmark one for the iconic forward.

The four-time Ballon d'Or winner boasts many individual accolades and his brilliance still needs to be seen to be believed - the game is live on Sky Sports 2 HD from 7.25pm - but the numbers tell their own tale...

Notts County sack manager Ricardo Moniz
    Ricardo Moniz has been sacked as manager of Notts County after just eight months in charge of the club.

Moniz's assistant Dave Kevan and defensive coach Dean Yates have also been dismissed by the League Two club.

The 51-year-old was appointed County boss in April following the dismissal of Shaun Derry, but was unable to prevent the club suffering relegation from League One.

FA charge Leyton Orient's Francesco Becchetti with violent conduct
    Francesco Becchetti has been charged with misconduct for a bizarre incident following Leyton Orient's 3-2 win against Portsmouth on Boxing Day.

Leyton Orient president Becchetti was caught on camera aiming a kick at the club's assistant manager Andy Hessenthaler after the final whistle went.

Hessenthaler gestured and appeared to say something to the seats behind the dug-outs and Becchetti followed him onto the Brisbane Road pitch before swinging his leg at him.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast