A 3-1 defeat means England can no longer progress from Group A after losing to Italy in their opening game so even a win against hosts Israel next time out will not be enough.

The Three Lions were three goals down by the time Craig Dawson pulled one back from the spot and, while England dominated possession, Pearce felt his team let themselves down.

"We started brightly enough but then we decided it was good enough to just pass the ball and not do the defensive side and the dirty side of it and shipped three poor goals."
Stuart Pearce

"We're disappointed," he told Sky Sports. "We're out of the competition.

"I don't think the players have done themselves credit, to be honest with you, either individually or collectively.

"You get what you deserve out of football and that's nothing out of this tournament so far. We have to now concentrate on doing things properly for the tournament's sake against Israel.

"We didn't perform over the two games consistently enough.

"We started brightly enough but then we decided it was good enough to just pass the ball and not do the defensive side and the dirty side of it and shipped three poor goals."

The return of Tom Ince and Danny Rose from suspension was expected to boost England against a team they beat twice in qualification but it was not to be as Norway showed greater incision.

The players didnít perform Ė Pearce

When asked for an explanation, Pearce said: "It was a multitude of reasons. The substitutions and injuries going into the first game didn't help and we never got any rhythm from the Italy game.

"We passed it well without hurting them and we didn't have that cutting edge up front or those clever passes to open teams up. I just have to accept the defeat on my chin."

Pearce is soon to be out of contract and refused to be drawn on whether he will continue to lead England into a fifth European Under-21 Championship in 2015.