Join Today

Thread: African Football

Victor Osimhen, top scorer at the 2015 Under-17 World Cup, has said he is not rushing to decide his club

African Football

Victor Osimhen, top scorer at the 2015 Under-17 World Cup, has said he is not rushing to decide his club future.
    He currently plays for Ultimate Strikers in Lagos and has spent time at German club Wolfsburg and is also set to visit English side Arsenal.
    Osimhen, who turns 17 on 29 December, scored 10 goals to help Nigeria win a record fifth under-17 title in October.
    "The trip to Wolfsburg was interesting and I'll be visiting Arsenal too, but I am not in a rush," he told BBC Sport.

Tottenham striker Clinton Njie has been ruled out for two to three months with a knee injury.
    Njie, 22, had surgery after sustaining the injury in the Europa League win over Monaco earlier this month.
    "I don't know [how long he will be out] but we expect maybe two months or two and a half," manager Mauricio Pochettino said.
    Cameroon international Njie joined from Lyon in the summer but is yet to start or score in the Premier League.
    The news leaves Tottenham short of attacking options, with Harry Kane the sole recognised centre forward and Son Heung-min and Nacer Chadli now the only other available players who can play up front.
    However, midfielder Ryan Mason and defender Danny Rose are back in contention for the home game against Norwich on 26 December after injury and illness respectively.

Egyptian champions Zamalek have reversed their decision to quit the current Premier League season.
    The club announced its original decision on Sunday in protest at the officiating during the 3-2 loss to El-Gaish that evening.
    The board met on Monday to discuss possible consequences and announced on Tuesday they would stay in the league.
    Had they gone ahead, Zamalek would have been banned from football for a year and relegated to the fourth division.
    That would have had significant financial consequences both for them and their sponsors and could have led to the break-up of the squad.
    Zamalek were also concerned about the reaction of some of their fans, who have been celebrating their first title in a decade.
    Instead of pulling out of the league, Zamalek have written a letter of complaint regarding the officials in the El-Gaish match to the Egyptian Football Association.
    Their request for referee Mahmoud Al Banna to be replaced for the match was rejected in the build up to the game.
    Al Banna sent off Zamalek defender Ali Gabr after just four minutes and awarded El-Gaish the first of two penalties, the second came 10 minutes into the second half.

It has been another eventful weekend of European football, with Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez inspiring Barcelona to a third Club World Cup title.
    Closer to home, Real Madrid put 10 past Rayo Vallecano, and Bayern Munich and Paris St Germain enter their winter breaks with commanding leads in their respective domestic leagues.
    But what else might you have missed across Europe? BBC Sport has rounded up the best of the action.

Zambia have drafted in 2012 Nations Cup winners Christopher Katongo and Isaac Chansa to their preliminary squad for the Africa Nations Championship (CHAN).
    Katongo captained Zambia to their victory in 2012 but was then throw out of the senior national team two years later after a row with the coaches.
    The 33-year-old now plays Green Buffaloes in Zambia and so can play at CHAN, which is for locally-based players only.
    While Chansa, 31, has returned from a spell in India to play for Zanaco.
    Katongo, who was the 2012 BBC African Footballer of the Year, and Chansa have told the Football Association of Zambia that they are "humbled by the call up and confidence shown in their abilities and have promised to give their best."
    Zambia's CHAN squad began its preparation in Lusaka today ahead of the tournament that kicks off on 16 January.
    They will begin their Group D campaign on 19 January against neighbours Zimbabwe before playing Uganda and Mali, with the top two progressing to the quarter-finals.

France Under 21 striker Grejohn Kyei says he would consider playing for Ghana at senior international level - if the West African country came calling.
    The 20-year-old, who plays his club football in France for Reims, is eligible to play for the Black Stars because his parents are Ghanaians.
    Under Fifa rules he is free to switch because he has not yet played for a country's senior national team.
    And, despite scoring on his debut for the French U-21 side, Kyei has not ruled out representing Ghana in the future.
    "I was born in France but my parents are from Ghana, meaning I could only pledge my allegiance to one country," Kyei told BBC Sport.
    Kyei revealed that his only trip to his parents' country was more than a decade ago but he follows the progress of the four-time African champions on the Internet.
    "I know everything in France because I was born here, but no one [from the Ghana Football Association] has contacted me," said Kyei.
    "But in the future, if Ghana do call me then I have to look at that international option, because you can't close doors.
    "I know for sure that my parents will be excited if it happens, right now I can only give my best to what is in front of me [France and Reims]."

Tottenham have confirmed that Cameroon international Clinton Njie has undergone knee surgery.
    The forward suffered a ligament injury during a 4-1 Europa League victory against Monaco earlier this month.
    Spurs have not said how long N'jie will be out for.
    A club statement read: "Our medical staff will monitor Clinton's progress during his rehabilitation to determine when he will be ready to return to training."
    Njie, who signed from Lyon on a five-year deal this summer, has made 13 appearances but is yet to start in the English Premier League for Spurs this season and is also yet to score.

Three of the candidates hoping to be the next president of football's world governing body have been lobbying 14 association bosses in Southern Africa.
    Tokyo Sexwale, Jerome Champagne and Prince Ali Hussein all addressed the Council of Southern African Football Association's (Cosafa) annual general meeting.
    Salman Bin Ibrahim Al-Khalifa and Gianni Infantino are the other two eligible candidates to replace Sepp Blatter in February's polls.