DAVID MOYES has the backing of every single Manchester United fan – and 10 Premier League managers.
Alex Ferguson’s successor takes United to Thailand this week for the start of a ridiculously-long pre-season tour which sees the club travel 24,940 miles ahead of the opening game at Swansea.
The challenge facing Moyes, as he follows a footballing institution, is obviously massive.
Yet there will be many men in the top flight wanting Moyes to win the title ahead of Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal. Namely, Chris Hughton, Mark Hughes, Alan Pardew, Steve Bruce, Steve Clarke, Sam Allardyce, Paul Lambert, Malky Mackay and Ian Holloway.
Brendan Rodgers, manager of United’s bitter rivals Liverpool, would never publicly admit it for obvious reasons but he would more than likely prefer to see United finish top.
Moyes’ appointment has given every British manager hope of one day reaching the top.
In the same way Swansea have given hope to teams outside the top division that it is possible to rise through the leagues, win a trophy and end up in Europe.
In football, you need to dream. And those 10 managers know that if they continue to go about their job in a quiet, impressive manners – like Moyes – then the offer of a big job could eventually land on their desk.
City’s appointment of Manuel Pellegrini is a strange one. Pellegrini is clearly an experienced manager but ultimately, he has won only the Intertoto Cup in Europe.
Equally, I don’t believe the quality of a manager is determined by the number of trophies he has collected yet I still feel Pellegrini’s appointment is more of a gamble than Moyes’.
Jose Mourinho is a hit among fans and is great value for us in the media but he is not massively popular within all of the coaching fraternity. Nevertheless, his return to Chelsea is accepted as the right move.
But Moyes’ arrival at Old Trafford is the interesting one.
Yet the British bosses in the Premier League do not just WANT him to succeed — they need him to.
And my prediction is that while Mourinho will make Chelsea strong to challenge for the title, Moyes will lead United to another Premier League crown.
I went to Old Trafford on Friday for his unveiling and was impressed with the former Everton manager.
It was unfortunate timing for Moyes that his first press conference as United was all about Wayne Rooney.
But he handled the situation impressively and put the emphasis very much on Rooney.
There is clearly a problem with the player. It is hardly a surprise that Chelsea and Arsenal would take him, along with PSG and maybe even Barcelona.
With the exception of Ronaldo and to a point, David Beckham, few players leave Old Trafford and continue to enjoy success. Normally, there is only one way to go when you leave United – and that is down.
Rooney and his advisors will be aware of this and as there are two years left on his contract, it seems certain he will be offered a new deal. The England star’s value next year, if he has only one year left on his contract, will be reasonably low so United need to get him tied up as soon as possible.
My hunch is that come the start of the season, Rooney will be wearing the red shirt of Manchester United.
And come May, he will be holding the Premier League title with Moyes’.

Read more: Charlie Wyett column: Why Sam, Ollie and Bren want Utd to win title | The Sun |Sport|Football