Hertha Berlin have signed midfielder Per Ciljan Skjelbred on loan from Bundesliga rivals Hamburg until the end of the season.

Alexander Baumjohann tore cruciate knee ligaments in a 2-0 defeat to Wolfsburg at the weekend, prompting Hertha to move for Norwegian Skjelbred, who arrived in Germany in 2011 to sign a four-year contract with Hamburg.

The 26-year-old is expected to return to Hamburg at the end of the season but heading in the opposite direction is striker Pierre-Michel Lasogga, who has left Berlin in a loan deal which could become permanent in the summer.

He admitted it was not an easy choice to leave the capital, but he hopes to kick-start his career in the northern city.

"I had a great time there and the fans always gave me their backing," he said on Offizielle Website des Hamburger SV.

"I now hope it will be the same with Hamburg. I've heard from my team-mates at Hertha who played for Hamburg in the past that there is a great environment in Hamburg and the fans and the stadium are meant to be outstanding.

"I'm looking forward to it."